Characterised by 1.e4 e5 2.Nf2 Nc5 3. Bc4, the Giuoco Piano, or Italian Game, is the oldest recorded chess opening. It had its heyday in the late 19th century, but is rarely played at top level now since it’s regarded as offering black good drawing chances.
Featured Video: A brilliant finish to this Giuoco Piano miniature played as a correspondence game in 1944 between Peperle and Pearce.
- Brychta vs Botur – Giuoco Piano – Prague, 1951 – attractive miniature
- Brown vs Brightman – Giuoco Piano – New Jersey, 1975 – quick demolition
- Peperle vs Pearce – Giuoco Piano – 1944, Correspondence – brilliant finish to this miniature
- Movsesian vs Adams – Giuoco Piano – Corus 2009
- Steinitz vs von Bardeleben – Giuoco Piano – 1895